Weekly Update for March 14th, 2016

As a third grade student in Somersworth, NH , I attended a weekly basketball clinic each Saturday morning. I knew that I loved playing basketball and wanted to improve my skills as best I could. One session a high school player (who in my nine year old eyes was on par with an NBA player) took me aside to work on my foul shooting. How to balance my feet, create momentum from my legs, align my elbow, eyes on the rim, and follow through like I was putting my hand in a cookie jar......I was hooked. I wanted to be a basketball player for the rest of my life.

Fast-forward to 7 years later and I was that high school player teaching eight and nine year old's how to shoot foul shots. Cracking jokes with them, aligning their elbow, having them focus on the rim, and explaining how they too can put their hand in the imaginary cookie jar as they follow through on their shot. All the while knowing that they too most likely looked up to me as a mentor...... I was hooked. Again.... I wanted to be a teacher....for the rest of my life.

That feeling hasn't changed since that Saturday morning.

I have been lucky enough to teach/coach/mentor children since I was that 16 year old playing and teaching basketball.  I have been fortunate to have wonderful teachers as a student through elementary, high school and college. They inspired me.  There were those who gave me confidence when I needed it. Who pulled me aside to tell me that they believed in me as a student and as a future educator.
Many of us choose education as our profession for one reason only - to have an impact on student's lives.  There was never one doubt from that Saturday morning to today that education was my passion. When I was thinking about a career (as most of you all have done), I wanted to make sure of two things only - that I would make a positive impact on student's lives AND that I would enjoy going into work everyday. I strive and hope that I accomplish the former. There still has not been a morning walking into any school building that I didn't have a positive approach to the day. Sure, there a known long-days ahead, but never a day where I second-guessed my decision to be an educator.

I want to mention that I have been so fortunate and lucky to have Chris Kelley as a friend and mentor for over 16 years. She was one of the first people early in my career who pushed me towards pursuing a leadership position. I used the word "bittersweet" at the beginning of the school year when she moved over to WHS knowing that I would not be working next to her each day (although phone calls, emails and texts remain constant). I am very proud and happy for her next path in education. My excitement for my own career is subdued a bit with the realization that we will not be in the same district next year.

The path of summer recreation counselor,  student-teacher, teacher, and assistant principal has led me to Lynch Elementary School. I am honored and supremely proud to continue in the role of principal. To quote a memo I wrote to our amazing faculty on Friday afternoon - "I love our school. I love working with all of you. I love our kids. I love the kids in Winchester."

I plan to continue making a positive impact as the years progress at Lynch and maybe, pull a student or two aside to work on some foul shooting...

I hope to see most of you at our Lynch International Festival Friday evening at 6pm to celebrate our community!

Have a great week!

Mr. Dupuis

Popular Posts